Your torso length, not your height, sets the parameters for your correct pack size. We recommend following our guide to determine yours:
An ill-fitting pack is a distraction from your chosen endeavor and does nothing to help your confidence in the backcountry. For optimal success and enjoyment, the weight of your pack should be distributed evenly between your hips and shoulders and finding that sweet spot can be tricky.
All of our 2400, 3400 and 4400 Series packs come in four size options – Small, Medium, Large, and Tall, and each one can be sized using the following somewhat-scientific process.
All you need a measuring tape and a pal to help out.
- Tilt your head slightly forward to locate the bony bump at the base of your neck. (This is your 7th cervical (or C7) vertebra).
- Using a flexible measuring tape, have your chosen helper place one end at that spot and along the curve of your spine.
- Place your hands on your hips so you can feel your iliac crest, or the “shelf” of your pelvic girdle. (It’s the first hard thing you feel when you run your fingers down from the sides of your ribcage.) Position your hands so your thumbs are reaching behind you.
- Have your friend finish measuring at the point where the tape crosses an imaginary line drawn between your thumbs. This distance is your torso length.
- Small (15.0” - 17.0” torso)
- Medium (17.0” - 19.0” torso)
- Large (19.0” - 21.0” torso)
- Tall (21.0”+ torso)
- If your measurement falls right in between sizes (for example, if you have a 17.0” torso, you fall right on the line between a Small and a Medium), we suggest you choose the larger torso size.
Ideally, you want the shoulder straps of the pack to come off the top of your shoulders perpendicular to your shoulder blades, not wrapping over and behind, or going towards the back of your neck. This process can be sabotaged or flawed (thanks to those friends who can’t measure), so please keep in mind that if you receive a pack from us and need another size, we’re happy to help facilitate an exchange.
Now that you’re all sized up and ready-to-go, let’s check out the goods.